Upcoming Events This Month:
'Tis the season! Not the holiday season, but time for FCAT!
Parents, here are a few FCAT Testing Tips to keep in mind
- Have a Positive Attitude - Approach the big test as you'd approach a giant jigsaw puzzle. It might be tough, but you can do it! A positive attitude goes a long way toward success.
- The Night Before - Cramming doesn't work. If you've followed a study plan, the night before the test you should do a quick review and get to bed early. Remember, your brain and body need sleep to function well, so don't stay up late!
- The Morning of the Test - Did you know that you think better when you have a full stomach? So don't skip breakfast the morning of the test. Get to school early and read for about ten-minutes right before the test, so your brain is turned on and warmed up.
- Test Time - Before the test begins- Understand how the test is scored: Do you lose points for incorrect answers? Or is it better to make guesses when you're not sure of the answer? Listen to the instructions! You want to make sure you are marking answers correctly.
- Manage Your Time Wisely - Scan through the test quickly before starting. Answering the easy questions first can be a time saver and a confidence builder. Plus, it saves more time in the end for you to focus on the hard stuff.
- What If I'm Stuck?! - Those tricky problems can knock you off balance. Don't get worried or frustrated. Reread the question to make sure you understand it, and then try to solve it the best way you know how. If you're still stuck, circle it and move on. You can come back to it later. What if you have no idea about the answer? Review your options and make the best guess you can, but only if you don't lose points for wrong answers.
- Multiple-Choice Questions - The process of elimination can help you choose the correct answer in a multiple-choice question. Start by crossing off the answers that couldn't be right. Then spend your time focusing on the possible correct choices before selecting your answer.
- Neatness Counts - For machine-scored tests, fill in the spaces carefully. Be sure that your writing is legible on the short and long responses. Make sure that you erase your mistakes.
- I'm Done! - Not so fast - when you complete the last item on the test, remember that you're not done yet. First, check the clock and go back to review your answers, making sure that you didn't make any careless mistakes (such as putting the right answer in the wrong place or skipping a question). Spend the last remaining minutes going over the hardest problems before you turn in your test.
Follow these test tips to ensure that you did your best - Get your GAME ON!
JHW Elementary School Application now available.
Parents, the 2014-2015 School Year Elementary School Application can now be found online. Click here for the application.
Bok Academy open enrollment for 2014-2015
Bok Academy middle school (grades 6-8) will be holding Open Enrollment beginning on Monday, Jan. 20 and ending Feb. 7 at 11:59 pm. Applications rules are slightly different for Bok, which doesn’t have a zoned population. This year, Bok Academy will also do online enrollment. If you have any questions, please contact the school.
The online application will open on Jan. 20 and end Feb. 7 at 11:59 pm. All other applications are available at individual schools, and may be posted on school and/or LWCS websites:
- Janie Howard Wilson Elementary, 306 Florida Ave., Lake Wales, 678-4211
- Hillcrest Elementary, 1051 SR 60, Lake Wales, 678-4216
- Polk Avenue Elementary, 110 E. Polk Ave., Lake Wales, 678-4244
- Dale R. Fair Babson Park Elementary, 815 N. Scenic Hwy., Babson Park, 678-4664
- Edward W. Bok Academy, 13901 Hwy. 27 South, Lake Wales, 638-1010
- Lake Wales High, One Highlander Way, Lake Wales, 678-4222
Parents and Community,
** Please Note: Updated Dress Code for the 2013-2014 school year!!! **
Janie Howard Wilson will be making a few changes in our dress code for the 2013-2014 year.
- SHIRTS: Royal Blue JHW T-shirt or Royal Blue or Grey Polo type shirt (MUST HAVE COLLAR)
- BOTTOMS: KHAKI pants, shorts, or skirts (Pants MUST be worn around the waist—NOT Sagging.
- MUST wear belt with pants that have belt loops.
- Jeans are allowed ONLY ON FRIDAYS, with any JHW school T-Shirt.
- SHOES: Sneakers ONLY. (NO sandals or laced-up high-tops)
- SOCKS: White or grey. NO long socks of different colors.
(SCHOOL T-SHIRTS $8.00)
Staff and Friends of JHW,
Please put down the Pepsi and drink Coke! If you buy coke products please look for the codes on the carton or cap, go to the following website and register , add in your product code and gift it to Janie Howard. After so many points we can get supplies, sports equipment and other things for our school. If you already buy coke products please help us out (if you just want to bring the caps or codes in I will be happy to enter them for you, although I will need to know which kind of product it came from). So... before you RECYCLE the bottles or cans just get the code and enter it yourself or bring it in to me. Pass the word to friends and family.
EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS!
Thank you so much for helping our school,